Thursday 21 April 2011

WARHOLS CANS

the next image I wanted to steal was Andy Warhols Campbell's soup cans.



To me, they dont mean much; its an everyday album reproduced to the point where we stop recognising it as just a soup can. In my research for my dissertation, I had found an anecdote from Warhol stating one of the reasons he did the cans was because he really liked soup. Fair does. I myself dont like the tinned soup, so what can I use to steal the idea?


I love beans.

an everyday commodity that becomes art simply by reproducing it to a point where we begin to question what it means. You may have different interpretations of the soup cans than I do but I really think Warhols notion of just doing it because "he likes soup" is a lovely way of keeping art simple.


Warhols 200 cans of soup 1962


Dodsons 200 cans of beanz, 2011






1 comment: