Tuesday 26 April 2011

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON


Next up is this poster that resurfaced a couple years ago.  The poster itself was commissioned by the British ministry of information during WWII, in the event of a German invasion and to stop people freaking out. As there was no invasion these crisis posters never saw the light of day until they resurfaced in a book shop in 2000. As crown copyright runs out after 50 years, they are public domain and free to steal. 

Chances are you will have probably seen this or if not a re-appropriation of it in some chic fashion but I see this poster as a great opportunity to express what your thinking. In terms of poster design it is brilliantly simple and functional, I would feel safer if the Jerry's came and these were posted up. Anyways im babbling, here are 10 that i have made for my MPP.


As you may or may not know theres a royal wedding. The expected hysteria is well in force and I see this as my own personal opportunity to ward off the invasion of keeping up appearances which mean nothing to me...except of course the free day on friday




Taking a page or two out of Adbusters and other culture jamming posters, this is my attempt at merging 2 stolen images into one poster, on the one hand you have the store front approach all nice and helpful, yet their bigger agenda is making sure they make money. These are my interpretations of a totalitarian rule by big business overlords.... evil doers!


This approach is just me having fun and making the poster appropriate. It brings back alot of memories as to when I was growing up, Just hope I dont get sued for this one


Now from the logo, to running over budget and worry about builds being on time the London olympics next year has had some stick. If the original poster was to encapsulate the British stiff upper lip, this poster I hope encapulates how much we love a good moan. Will it be as good as China? I dont know, but have some faith! 


Now I hope for my sake I never get caught up in a 'Kettle' they sound barbaric. In this poster I wanted to try and sum up the Met's general attitude to the use of kettling.


Just a simple message done in a simple way. That is all.


Now this was purely for my own amusement. As well as this and a few other faces for comparison websites I personally see these as harbingers of the apocalypse. They want us to kick and scream our TV's when the adverts are on, dont let the meerkats win!


Just from these 10 posters I have tried to show a range of different uses. By stealing this image I have made it personal to me and how I feel and think at this moment in time, much like stickers in street art. The more obscure the image the bigger the aura  and the quest to find its meaning, much like Warhols soup cans 









No comments:

Post a Comment